Tuesday 10 January 2012

Contents Page Summary


Contents page summary

I have learnt that contents pages are like the starting point and map of a magazine.
Excluding the front cover they are the first page that the reader sees so it has to link in with the front cover so it flows and doesn’t feel unstructured.

In order to make it a good contents page it shouldn’t be over crowded and the headlines of the articles or the categories they go under need to stand out so they draw in the reader’s attention. Although it is good to have colour on your page and different fonts it can look too cluttered keep it subtle and to a minimum. However, this is also compliant with the genre of your magazine and the kind of audience that reads it, if it was a teenage magazine you would expect something more along the lines of Teen Vogue:









(September Issue 2011; Teen Vogue)








 But if the magazine you are selling is a “hard” music magazine then a layout which is quite dark with flashes of bright colours well make more of an impact, stand out more and suit your target audience.

I’m going to use the information I’ve learned to help me construct the most suitable contents page for my magazine. I’m going to have a plain background like Vogue so that I have a broader range of colours to use for my pictures, ads and fonts.

No comments:

Post a Comment